2023-01-31: Nithiya Venkatraman - PhD Computer Science







I am Nithiya Venkatraman, Senior Software Engineer at ADP, Norfolk and a part-time PhD student at Old Dominion University. I have 10+ years of IT experience (Oracle PL/SQL, Java, OAF Framework, Unix). I started my career with a start up firm MRR Private Ltd, Chennai, India as a Junior Developer (2009). I have also worked with Mastek, Mumbai as a Software Engineer for around two years, then moved back to Chennai to work with Photon Infotech as a Senior Database Administrator in 2012. This was destiny, where I met my soulmate, and it was time for us to start a family; we moved to Boston, USA. It was a totally different world out there. We were blessed with a handsome baby boy in the year 2016. Then I had to stay at home to take care of him for the next couple of years. 

 In 2018, I resumed my career as Database Developer for the client Moody’s corporation at New York, while my family was here in Virginia Beach. Later, after few months of struggle, I got a job opportunity as Applications Developer at ADP, Norfolk. I was delighted to be back with my family here in Virginia Beach. It was time for me to explore more on the latest tech stack, so I joined the MS Computer Science at Old Dominion University in August 2020. This was after 10+ years of my Bachelor of Technology at Anna University. I felt more comfortable with academia as the professors were very friendly to work with. 

 It was during the final semester of my MS (2021 Jan); I was in the NLP class and discussed with Dr. Vikas about my interest in pursuing a PhD. He accepted me in his lab and guided my research. Prof. Vikas is great person, he is like a knowledge machine, fully loaded. I’ve been working with him in the Accessible Computing Lab, the lab mates are cool as well. They are very supportive and passionate in what they do. It’s a great opportunity for me to explore my innovative side. I have started learning more about data science and data engineering and their vital role in modern industry. 

 My morning starts with Yoga, I have a guru from India who guides me to stay fit and focused. Then I start my daily routine, breakfast prep and getting my son ready for school. My office time is from 8:00AM to 5:30PM. Then I spend some time with my little one. After supper, I start my academic work and stay late as much as possible. It is interesting in this path to meet different people with excellent vision. I am anticipating for new adventures and great opportunities.









-Nithiya (@Nithiyavenkat07)





Comments