2023-03-16: My journey to ODU WS-DL Group

 



My name is Brian Llinás, and I joined the Web Science and Digital Libraries (WS-DL) research group at Old Dominion University (ODU) as a Ph.D. student in the Spring of 2023 (my first year), supervised by Dr. Michael Nelson. Recently I received my bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering at Universidad del Norte (UniNorte), Barranquilla, Colombia.

I have been involved in research academic life for the last two years. I started working with some professors from the College of Industrial Engineering at UniNorte on research topics such as Operation Research, Humanitarian Logistics, Simulation & Transportation, and Machine Learning. Still, I developed more affinity with Machine Learning, Data Science, and everything related to statistics and data.

My significant research experience in Colombia was working with the SIMAS-UN research group at UniNorte, which is part of the Storymodelers Lab in the Virginia Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation Center (VMASC). SIMAS-UN has a research partnership with faculty at ODU VMASC supervised by Dr. Jose Padilla and Dr. Erika Frydenlund, where I developed computational insights about frustration toward migrants in global refugee host communities. This research experience prompted me to pursue a Ph.D. to further my studies and help me grow my data science and modeling knowledge and skillsets. 

Also, I have work experience as a Data Scientist. I worked with Fintra S.A. (financial sector) and DataLeik (consulting sector), where I extracted vast volumes of enterprise customer data from the cloud, and debugged and cleaned data to discard irrelevant information. I used data visualization and manipulation tools to perform statistical analysis. I implemented machine learning models to create prescriptive and predictive models that help the company to make more accurate decisions.

In addition, I was an undergraduate teaching assistant at UniNorte in courses such as Engineering Data Analysis I, Engineering Data Analysis II, and Integral Quality Management and Control. I have gained coding skills in R, Python, Arena, and SQL, but I am learning in HTML and PHP with the courses, and I hope to learn more during my journey. 

I have enrolled in two courses this semester:

CS 800 Research Methods (by Dr. Stephan Olariu)

CS 550 Database Concepts (by Dr. Jian Wu)

My research interests are, but are not limited to, Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing (NLP). I am currently working on regression models and plan to work on named entity recognition and large language model.

It is an honor to be part of the WS-DL and work under the direct supervision of Dr. Michael Nelson. I hope to meet the group in person and learn more about you.

Regards, 

Brian Llinás


Comments