2022-09-07: Caleb Bradford WS-DL Introduction

 


Hey all.

My name is Caleb Bradford and I am currently an undergraduate senior studying Computer Science at Old Dominion University. This Fall, I will be entering the Web Science and Digital Libraries Research Group. I am currently enrolled in the Linked B.S.C.S. & M.S. Program at ODU and I am beginning to take graduate level courses this Fall. I plan on enrolling in the graduate program to pursue my M.S. immediately after graduation. I transferred to ODU after earning my Associate's in Science in Computer Science from Tidewater Community College. During my time at TCC, I was a member of the 2019 cohort of the TCC Women's Center STEM Promise Scholarship Program

This past summer, I was a part of the first cohort of the ODU CS Research Experience for Undergraduates in Disinformation Detection and Analytics. During the program, I worked under the advisement of Dr. Nelson on the "Did they really say that?" project. My participation in the REU also included attendance of workshops and lectures meant to better my CS research skills. 

Through the work I did on the REU, Dr. Nelson offered me a position as a research assistant with WSDL to work on the "What's Missing? Innovating Interdisciplinary Methods for Hard-to-Reach Environments," project, which is being funded by the Minerva Research Initiative

The CS coursework I am taking this fall includes the first part of my senior capstone project (CS 410). I am also taking two graduate level courses, one being Web Server Design (CS 531) taught by Dr. Sawood Alam, and Computational Methods and Software (CS 517). I am particularly excited to be taking Web Server Design, as it gives me the opportunity to learn more about network programming as I develop an HTTP compliant web server.

While I have been living in Hampton Roads since 2018, I was actually born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii. In my free time, I enjoy listening to music (primarily indie pop), playing video games, watching comedies, and playing the Ukulele. 

-Caleb

Comments