2021-11-18: Emily Escamilla (Computer Science PhD Student)


My name is Emily Escamilla. I joined the Web Science and Digital Libraries (WS-DL) research group at Old Dominion University as a Ph.D. student in Fall 2021. In high school, I was a student at the Governor's School for Science and Technology. I did my senior mentorship project with Dr. Justin Brunelle, a WS-DL and ODU alumni. Dr. Brunelle introduced me to the world of web archiving and I've been hooked ever since. 
I earned a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from Liberty University with a dual focus in software engineering and web and mobile development. During my time in undergrad, I interned with The MITRE Corporation as a software developer intern. I was a part of projects involved in creating user interfaces that allow the user to rapidly understand large amounts of data. My time at The MITRE Corporation, a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC), also helped me see the power of research in the field of Computer Science, a large reason I decided to pursue a PhD in Computer Science. I am currently working with Dr. NelsonDr. Weigle, and Dr. Klein on CoSAI, a project funded by the Sloan Foundation that aims to archive code repositories as part of scholarly content. 

Outside of school, I love watching college football (Go Flames!) and professional football (Go Packers!). 

Liberty University football game

Green Bay Packers Football game in Lambeau field.


I'm excited to be a part of the WS-DL research group! I'm looking forward to working with my advisors and other students in the lab. 

- Emily Escamilla


Comments